Guide to Company Setup in Macau
Macau’s stable financial system, superior trading environment and thriving economy make it an ideal location to set up your offshore business. The country also boasts low tax rates. Offshore companies might be exempt from business tax, profit tax, property transfer tax, and salaries tax for the first three years of employment for non-Macau residents.
The experts at New Horizons Global Partners can discuss the different types of business entities in Macau and the advantages and disadvantages of each option. This allows you to make an informed decision about which type of structure you want to create.
Our experts assist you with all aspects of registering your Macau, including the following:
- Perform a search for the proposed company name and business structure
- Draft the memorandum and articles of association
- Prepare investment prospectus to include invested funds and expected profits for the next three years
- Prepare a list of shareholders and officers
- Notarize company documents
- Apply for business registration with a letter of application, notarial deed for company shareholders, copy identification documents, register board members and acceptance of appointment, and certificate of admissibility of company name
- Register the company with the Business and Movable Property Registry
- Prepare starting business declaration form
- Apply for business license
- Acquire business tax payment voucher
Macau Limited Company
The Macau limited company or Macau One-Man Limited is the most common type of legal entity for foreigners in Macau. This type of company is established by each shareholder receiving one share of the business with the share being equal to the amount of capital he or she contributed.
The shareholders’ liability is limited to the amount of capital they contributed. Minimum registered capital of MOP 25,000 is required. There must be at least one shareholder and one officer. A company secretary is required if it is a one-man company.
Macau Holdings Limited Company
Macau holdings companies have greater structure. The company must divide its capital into equal shares. Each share must be more than HK 100 and should be a multiplier of HK 100. The liability of shareholders is limited to the value of their shares. The company remains registered until it has subscribed all of its shares and its paid up capital reaches 25%. The minimum registered capital is MOP 1,000,000. This type of company requires that there be at least three shareholders, at least three officers and a company secretary.
Other Company Structures
There are other types of business entities that may be used that are not as common as the other two options. They are subject to different requirements and include the following:
- Unlimited company – This type of company requires at least two shareholders. There is no minimum registered capital requirement. The business is funded by capital contribution.
- Mixed company – This type of company requires at least one unlimited liabilities partner and one limited liabilities partner. There is no minimum registered capital requirement. The business is funded by capital contribution.
- Mixed liability company by shares – This type of company requires a minimum of one shareholder with unlimited liability and three shareholders with limited liability. Minimum capital investment of MOP 1,000,000.
- Mixed holdings company – This type of company requires at least one unlimited liabilities partner and one limited liabilities partner. The minimum registered capital is MOP 1,000,000. The capital contribution is made through the subscription of sales
- Limited liability company by quotas – This type of company has between 2 and 20 shareholders. The minimum registered capital is MOP 25,000.
- Limited liability company by shares – This type of company requires at least three shareholders. Minimum registered capital is MOP 1,000,000.
- Limited liability company by sole owner – This type of company has only one shareholder. Minimum registered capital is MOP 25,000.
- Offshore company – An offshore company must have at least one shareholder and registered capital of at least 25,000.
Your Global Partner in Expansion to Macau
In addition to helping you set up your company in Macau, the experts at New Horizons can assist you with many other matters to help make your expansion a success. We can advise you on tax matters. Your business may be subject to business tax, which is based on your business operation. You may also be subject to profits complementary tax.
Additionally, we can handle VISA applications, human resources matters, payroll and offer employment solutions through our PEO services. By taking advantage of our PEO services, you can delegate employer responsibilities to trusted experts while you maintain day-to-day control over your staff. This flexible option allows you to scale up or down your business as your needs dictate while we handle all compliance matters as the official employer of record. You can use this option with or without a legal entity.
Contact the experts at New Horizons Global Partners to learn more about we can help you expand into Macau.