Getting the Business M Visa for China
Required Documents – Exception per countries – Application from Hong Kong
The Business Visa (M Visa) is issued to applicants who intend to come to China for commercial and trade activities purpose.
A Business Visa can be granted for 30, 40, 60, 90, 180 days or 1 to 10 years (in some cases, Business visas can be granted for more than 1 year and up to 10 years). It can also grant a single entry, a double entry or multiple entries.
Important notice: To work in China a Z Visa (Work Visa) will be required.
Generally, the following documents are required to be produced:
- Application Form V.2013
- Flight Tickets (at least one way)
- Proof of Accommodation (hotel booking, an invitation letter from a relative…)
- Proof of Financial Resources
- Invitation Letter from the inviting company located in mainland China
- Business License of the inviting company
- (Mission Statement from a company located abroad and willing to send their employee in China)
As one of the required documents for a Business Visa application, the Invitation Letter shall follow some rules and state the following required information:
- Full name
- Passport number
- Date of birth
- The relation between the applicant and the inviting company located in China
Information about the trip planned in China
- The purpose and the planning of the visit to China (visited cities, flight/plane tickets…)
- Requested Visa, here a “Business Visa”
- The number of entries + duration of each stay in China
Also, the Invitation Letter needs to be stamped by the inviting company chop.
Exceptions per countries
Some countries have special agreements with China that allow their citizens to benefit from specific visas.
- United States: up to 10 years Business Visa
- Canada: up to 9 years Business Visa
- Argentina: up to 10 years Business Visa
- Israel: up to 10 years Business Visa
- United Kingdom: up to 2 years Business Visa
- Foreigners who already obtained a Business Visa in the past are also entitled to ask for a 1-year Business Visa.
- Foreigners living in hong kong, and having an HKID Card: 1-year Business Visa
- APAC citizens holders of the ABTC (APEC Business Travel Card) containing “CHN” on the back: up to 60 days for Business Trips without needing any Visa
- Holders of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macao passports: special Travel Permit valid for up to 10 year
- Foreigners going from Hong Kong to Shenzhen (and staying in Shenzhen) for a Business Trip can enjoy a 5-days Visa when they arrive; same for Foreigners going from Macao to Zhuhai (and staying in Zhuhai) for a Business Trip can enjoy a 3-days Visa when they arrive.
Application from Hong Kong
Except if the applicant holds an HKID Card, it is almost not possible anymore to apply in person for a Chinese Visa in Hong Kong. However, a lot of agencies provide a Chinese Visa application service.
Through an agency, it is generally possible to obtain a Business Visa for 30 days in Hong Kong. Sometimes, it requires that the holder of such a visa activate it at the Shenzhen border between mainland China and Hong Kong.