BambooHR is one of the most popular HR software platforms in the world, with over 20,000 customers across 50 industries.
As international HR specialists, we come across many different HR platforms, and we like to share our experiences with the platforms that we use, positive and negative.
This review of BambooHR covers the pros, cons and key features of the HR platform.
Please note: We have not affiliated in any way with BambooHR, nor do we receive any payment directly or indirectly for this review. We simply wish to share our experience with the platform so we can help others in their decision-making.
BambooHR: The Overview
BambooHR is a leading HR platform for small-to-medium-sized businesses (SMBs). It is a cloud-based Human Resources Information System (HRIS), with the goal of empowering managers and executives to more easily manage their HR function through a range of information management and reporting capabilities.
BambooHR’s client list includes SoundCloud, Foursquare, Freshbooks, Stance, Reddit, and Magnolia Homes, among others.
BambooHR Features and Services
There are five elements of the BambooHR system:
- People data and analytics. BambooHR produces a range of reports relating to people’s capability to empower HR analytics and decision-making.
- Recruitment and hiring. Manage the hiring process through advertising, tracking applications, and making offers. BambooHR also provides a specific mobile hiring and recruitment app.
- Compensation and payroll. BambooHR enables the tracking of key compensation and payroll details, the tracking of employee hours, and absence and benefits management.
- Onboarding. New employees can receive everything they need to begin work, by logging in directly to the platform.
- Culture. BambooHR produces reports specifically relating to employee performance and satisfaction, as well as integration with training programs.
BambooHR has a subscription-based pricing model, with two core packages, ‘Essentials’ and ‘Advantage’.
BambooHR does not provide specific prices on its website and instead offers individualized quotes.
The leading company review site, G2, states that the Essentials package is $4.95 per employee, per month, and the Advantage package is $8.25 per employee, per month.
Introduction to BambooHR
BambooHR offers all the essential features of an HRIS: Employee personal info, compensation, leave and absence management, and benefits management.
It also provides:
- A time-tracking feature for hourly work
- A training and assets register
- A recruitment platform for managing the talent acquisition funnel (with associated app)
- In-depth reporting functionality with an audit trail, reports on time off and employee satisfaction, headcount, hiring, payroll, and performance.
Below: An example of an Employee Wellbeing report through BambooHR
Pros and Cons of BambooHR
1. The Good
2. The Bad
3. The Beautiful
In this video, BambooHR breaks down the components of the ‘Advantage’ package.
BambooHR Feature Dive
It is worth digging in more deeply to demonstrate how the key features of BambooHR work in detail.
1. The User Dashboard
When you log into BambooHR, the user dashboard awaits. Key features include:
- A leave management widget, giving you a quick overview of who is on leave, who has leave planned, and the leave available to the logged-in user
- Announcements, which covers HR activity that has recently occurred, or needs to be actioned by the user
- A ‘My Benefits’ section summarizing the user’s benefits.
- A top menu, navigating the user to more detailed individual information, an employee database, the hiring/recruitment function, reports, and a document depository.
2. Setting Up New Employees
All key employee information can be entered via the ‘add employee’ function. A form is filled in by the manager, or, access can be given to the new employee themselves to ensure accuracy.
Once entered, the information is available to anyone who has the requisite access privileges.
3. Hiring New Employees
Perhaps, BambooHR’s most exciting feature, through this function, advertising positions, receiving applications, interviewing, and offer letters are made easy.
At any time hiring managers can check the progress of different positions, and the status of any individual application. In-built reporting functionality can provide further analytics — for example, identifying where applicants were sourced (LinkedIn, Indeed, etc).
Candidates can be assessed and added to ‘talent pools’ for later consideration.
Below: The ‘Job Openings’ page in the Hiring dashboard
4. Reporting and HR Analytics
A key task for all HR professionals is providing usable analytics and reports for the leadership team and Board. Through the standard reporting function contained in the ‘Essentials’ package, users have access to:
Employee demographic breakdown reports. For example, a breakdown by gender or disability
A range of reports relating to the hiring funnel, including the source of candidates, and their breakdown according to various demographic factors
Payroll data reports, including ones relating to payroll change and salary history
Performance and culture reports, covering employee performance, well-being, and satisfaction
Reports on time off balances and accumulated leave
Time tracking reports.
5. Unique Points of Value
Bamboo HR offers an additional employee time-tracking app to automatically record activity for hourly employees. Timesheets are easily approved, and reports are available summarizing the results across multiple employees.
Another unusual feature of BambooHR is the strong ‘self-reporting’ functionality of the system. BambooHR isn’t built just for HR professionals, but for the ordinary employee. Managers can easily customize access privileges and give employees easy access to the data they need. This way, employees can handle their own time-off requests, review paystubs, and update their own personal information.
Who Should Use BambooHR?
A one-stop-HR-shop, BambooHR admits that its platform was designed for small businesses: It boasts that almost 90% of its customers are SMBs.
However, it is worth observing that the added functionality of the ‘Advantage’ package, with custom reports and custom branding, as well as the dozens of partner integrations, means that BambooHR is also an excellent platform for many larger enterprises.
BambooHR is an all-in-one HR tech solution, perfectly suited for ambitious SMBs. A simple interface, superb reporting functionality, and extensive customer service mean that BambooHR will fulfill the HR needs of most SMBs.
BambooHR Review - Features, Pricing, Pros & Cons 
BambooHR is one of the most popular HR platforms on the market today. Check out our unbiased review of this HR software.
Price Currency: USD
Application Category: BusinessApplication